*SPOILERS* Star Trek Discovery Talk *Spoilers*

Started by Klaw, February 01, 2019, 02:38:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaw

Dendo

I'm loving the way they are adding mystery to a serialized plot by making each mystery contribute towards the end goal. It's much more like TNG/VOY/DS9 while having it's own identity.
a:0:{}

Klaw

February 12, 2019, 12:44:31 pm #2 Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 01:29:58 pm by Klaw
I'm still not convinced that it's NOT Iconians.

Consider this:

Instantaneous Travel from one region of space, to another 50000 lightyears away...

A mysterious Orb, dating thousands of years old suddenly showing up out of nowhere?

and, as I don't really play it, it has been mentioned some apparent physical similarities between the Red Angel and the Iconians from STO...

*shrug* I'll be shocked more if it's not the iconians, then if it is at this point.

Dendo

It's not going to be the Iconians, it's too easy since they have already been used in STO.
a:0:{}

Klaw

February 13, 2019, 01:46:11 pm #4 Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:48:13 pm by Klaw
At the same time - two things worth noting:

Kurtzman is a JJ acolyte. JJ hit the nail on the head with a load of obvious-ness in "Into Darkness"...

Another Thing worth noting is the fact that ALL of last season, Die hard fans (myself included) moaned and complained about the fact that this series didn't feel like Star Trek (because it didn't, until the end). That being said, they took a HUGE shift in this season, seemingly to appease the geeks (such as myself). So it would stand to reason that, from a writers point of view, they would dig into the fan favorite (TNG) and find something to nod to that fanbase... The Iconians.

Those are my two major arguments as to why it likely is.

My two arguments as to why it's likely NOT are:

STO did it too soon ago...

Established in canon, the Iconian Empire crashed centuries before the rise of the Federation. The Iconian people vanished and their relics are rare to find.

HOWEVER, while refreshing my memory...

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Iconian - they've mentioned Iconians twice on Discovery?

Willing to bet Kurtzman and Co, as with Section 31, don't fully realize the history of the Iconians...