Klaw's Daily post of useless nonsense Volume 2 - 1/1/2020

Started by Klaw, January 01, 2020, 05:50:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaw

Happy New Year!!!!!

Sorry I missed Monday and Tuesday, but I'm here now :)

News stories of the Day:

Advancement of Technology could help end hunger (Assuming we end greed, and realize food is essential to live...)

A list of recommended reads to start the year

An Honest Crook

The Funnies:

Recipe for the day:

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits

I submit that there is nothing better in the world than to wake up to a big, home made breakfast (except cookies, naturally). Eggs, Bacon, Toast, Waffles are all well and good, but they all lack some southern charm on their own. That's where some Sausage Gravy and Biscuits come in.

Generally speaking, I make my own gravy with my patented "bit of this, and bit of that" cooking style - but I found this recipe, and it seems decent enough for a basic try: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/216391/easy-sausage-gravy-and-biscuits/

QuoteIngredients
1 (16 ounce) can refrigerated jumbo buttermilk biscuits
1 (9.6 ounce) package Jimmy Dean(R) Original Hearty Pork Sausage Crumbles
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups milk
Salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions
Bake biscuits according to package directions.
Meanwhile, cook sausage in large skillet over medium heat 5-6 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Stir in flour. Gradually add milk; cook until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Split biscuits in half. Place 2 halves on each of 8 plates; top with about 1/3 cup gravy.

I usually like to spice up mine a bit more with some seasoned salt, and maybe a dash of Worcestershire Sauce. I also recommend fresh ground sausage, and if you can make them, real buttermilk biscuits: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220943/chef-johns-buttermilk-biscuits/

QuoteIngredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled in freezer and cut into thin slices
3/4 cup cold buttermilk
2 tablespoons buttermilk for brushing

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 5 minutes.
Make a well in the center of butter and flour mixture. Pour in 3/4 cup buttermilk; stir until just combined.
Turn dough onto a floured work surface, pat together into a rectangle.
Fold the rectangle in thirds. Turn dough a half turn, gather any crumbs, and flatten back into a rectangle. Repeat twice more, folding and pressing dough a total of three times.
Roll dough on a floured surface to about 1/2 inch thick.
Cut out 12 biscuits using a 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter.
Transfer biscuits to the prepared baking sheet. Press an indent into the top of each biscuit with your thumb.
Brush the tops of biscuits with 2 tablespoons buttermilk.
Bake in the preheated oven until browned, about 15 minutes.

I haven't made these biscuits, but the theory here is sound :P

If you find yourself with leftover biscuits, and no gravy - they go great with honey, or fruit jams of your choosing (I suggest Strawberry)

Go start this year off right with a nice, old fashioned, country breakfast!

Klaw's Cool Image find of the day:

Been watching a lot of DS9 lately, and this scene still gets me riled up!

Check out this and other awesome Trek related images by TheFirstFleet on DeviantArt: https://www.deviantart.com/thefirstfleet/gallery (I'm a big fan of his work)

Inspirobot:

Generated by Inspirobot, "an artificial intelligence dedicated to generating unlimited amounts of unique inspirational quotes for endless enrichment of pointless human existence."

Lastly, don't forget the shenanigans that are coming up here at The Forge:

Nova Returns January 11th. This will be episode 1 of a 4 part finale to close this series. All are welcome :) (We'll be doing a fair bit of recapping, etc - to bring things fresh in everyone's mind during this) - be sure to confirm your attendance!

Ops Team Meeting is schedule for January 12th. I have put up a preliminary run down of the business at hand, if there's something you want to add to the agenda/talk about - please don't hesitate to contact me! - Ops Team, we still need to set a time!

Brand New Day is slated to take off sometime in January. If you haven't done so yet, get your applications in! - String, when are we starting?

One more addendum - Looking at Rebooting Pegasus - and I want feedback on the idea before I pull the trigger :D