April 22, 2021, 01:42:18 am

A Guide to RP Writing

Started by Klaw, August 13, 2019, 06:48:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaw

A Guide to Plot Writing

So you want to take the center chair, Huh? Well with that position, there is a big responsibility. As the CO, it is your duty to bring a plot to the table that will enlist the use of imagination, use the talents of your fellow players, and grab and maintain their interest. This is no small feat, but with a little imagination, and a lot of practice, it will become easier, and will greatly improve your skills as a role-player.

So let's start with imagination. In 1966, Gene Roddenberry created this vision of the future, a Space Drama called Star Trek with Technologies and social "impossibilities" that boggled the imagination (IE an African-American, Uhura, Sitting on the bridge, among others). Gene Roddenberry created this universe, which can have endless possibilities, in our own imagination. Every Mind works differently, everybody looks at the color blue, and thinks and sees something different from it; but when you unlock your imagination, and express your thoughts, people begin to see your point of view, and then the imagination of others can flow as well. Free flowing ideas from everyone are the basis of good plot writing, and GREAT plot development. Don't be afraid to allow some wiggle room, for the imaginations of your crew. While it can be a god-send for tricky areas in your plot, it can also lead to plot jacking, so be weary about it.

Now, there is imagination, and then there is the "Twilight Zone". There are some things that are scientifically, and physically impossible, there are also "over-kill" ideas; an example of which would include, but is not limited to "Oh My Gosh, 400 Borg Cubes are Transwarping to Earth!!!" "Fire all Weapons" --*2 Torpedoes Fire* "Ships Destroyed, sir". Make your story believable, if you need help, seek out episodes of your favorite Sci-Fi Adventure (it doesn't have to be Star Trek, it can be Babylon 5, Serenity, heck, even Space Precinct) and observe how a central idea for the story is formed, and how solutions, or elements come together to expand that idea. (An example of my own writing will follow)

Another key element to a great RP is activity. Keep your players active, keep them thinking, and for some people, it's good to keep them working. When not in command, I prefer roles that allow me to sit back and enjoy the story, not necessarily act it out. But sometimes, a VERY active Engineering role is as enjoyable. Keep giving people things to do, ESPECIALLY the people who won't find things to do on their own. (See guide to Crew Positions)

When sitting in the captains Chair, I read over, or think over my plot, I imagine Picard, or Sisko, and their Crew, as if it was an Episode of Star Trek, and I was watching from my own home. I then ask myself, would I watch this? Would I enjoy this story? How Can I execute it to Maintain Interest? The key there is to allow input, if only a little. Turn to your colleagues, if you're stuck in an area, Turn to someone who is more experienced. You would be surprised how much material from an SRP is made up on the spot by the Characters involved, NOT the CO.

The Most important thing to remember here, is to NOT give up, even if you bomb your first attempts (and Believe me, I have bombed more than one RP in my life, and I still have the occasional Bomb) Keep trying, reflect on what went wrong, seek feedback from your colleagues, and if you really get in a rut, Come talk to me, or any of the admins. We're all experienced CO's, we've seen it all, done it all, and know how to fix it all.